Monday, November 10, 2008

Spotlight - Michaelle

About Michaelle: My birthday is February 18th. I’m from Carrefour suburb of Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Tekulve and I met at BYU in 2002. We went to the Black Student Union Club on campus, but we didn't become interested in each other until the Genesis Branch Meeting and got engaged 12 days after our first date! We got married the day after finals, on Saturday December 21, 2002 at the Salt Lake Temple. My favorite food to eat is fritay (a Haitian Dish you eat at the beach mostly) and ice cream. I like to make "legume" (similar to stir fry), another Haitian dish. I like to make dessert pizza and pizza with Tekulve and the kids. Writing poetry and latin dancing used to be my favorite hobbies but now with kids and busy schedules, I've settled for house hunting/ house designs online. One of my favorite moments was being sealed to my husband by a sealer who was related to the Ricks College family. Ricks was where I began college life. The sealing was read by my oldest brother in French so my parents could understand. One of my least favorite moments was having a 37-hour of labor with our first baby and ending up having a C-section! To relax, I like to listen to Yanni, Celtic women and Zouk music from the carribean while I'm cooking. My bad habit is procrastination. My good habit habit now is persistence/endurance--you kind of have too with kids :) I'm currently interning at the agency my husband and I have been working on for 4 years. Also, I would speak to my sister over the phone everyday up until she moved to Strasbourg France for a fall teaching experience for grad school. We were inseparable growing up! Finally, I'm part of the Haitian interpretation/translation team for the Church because I would like my people at home, especially my parents to receive the words of the prophets and general authorities as they are given so they have the opportunities we have here to hear the Lord speak in our days. One of my favorite Scriptures is 1 Nephi 3:7 because it is cited in my patriarchal blessing and it's my lifelong pursuit to learn to trust and rely on the Lord enough to do things without seeing the big picture at first. My favorite prophet is Pres Hinckley because he was an outstanding missionary through the media and temple building. I've seen the hands of the Lord in his accomplishments. Only a prophet of God could do that. He also supported education for men and women, and for international students through the Perpetual Education Funds.

No comments: